Update June 5th: the release date of the new version of the Ledger Wallet desktop edition is scheduled to July 9th
Early 2015, we introduced the Ledger Wallet Bitcoin Chrome application – a Google Chrome app designed to interact with our hardware wallets, enabling simple and secure management of cryptocurrency transactions. This app was rapidly followed by the Ledger Wallet Ethereum and Ripple native applications & companion Chrome apps, making it possible to manage these cryptocurrencies with your Ledger hardware wallet. Three years later, after the massive growth of cryptocurrencies and the multiplication of altcoins and forks, needless to say that our interfaces were ripe for a significant facelift.
Today, we are excited to announce the upcoming availability of our new generation Ledger Wallet application, built natively for desktop and mobile, gathering all cryptocurrencies in a single, unified place. This app will be available on Windows, macOS, Linux, Android, iOS and won’t require Google Chrome or Chromium anymore.
Initial released feature: One unique App for all currencies
Our initial release will bring all the current set of features supported by all our different apps, but in a unified and multi currency unique application.
You’ll find the full list of features of this first release below
- Native desktop application (Windows, macOS, Linux)
- Multi currencies (28 cryptos including Bitcoin, Altcoins, Ethereum, Ripple…)
- Multi devices (Ledger Nano S, Ledger Blue)
- Read only consultation of accounts without device (protected by optional password)
- Dashboard view of all assets
- Counter values: choice of currency & exchanges
- Send, receive, account balances & history
- Confirmation before sending funds
- On device verification of the receive address
- Faster account synchronization engine
- Easy onboarding for new users
What to expect in future releases? Mobile version, additional cryptos supported, 3rd party apps
In addition to this initial release, our teams are working hard on futures updates that we’re really excited about, and that will make your Ledger hardware wallets even more easy to use (notably including a full mobile experience, the ability to support a lot more cryptocurrencies on your Ledger Nano S, and third party app integrations). Here’s a sneak peek into our roadmap:
- Mobile application version (Android & iOS)
- Ledger Nano/HW.1 support
- Install/uninstall apps on Ledger Nano S automatically to smoothly manage a non limited number of cryptos on one device
- Ethereum ERC20 tokens & contract management
- Third party apps integration (buy/sell cryptocurrencies, exchanges, swaps…)
- Transaction tags & notes
- Spotlight search
- Generate more than one new address
- 100+ cryptocurrencies support
The new application will have its own set of native USB drivers. Google Chrome won’t be required anymore, but this will also break compatibility with the Chromebook platform.
Additionally, Ledger is working on a new version of the Ledger Manager platform. We’ll shortly move to a web based solution involving direct USB communication without the need to install any extension. Supported browsers include Google Chrome, Chromium, Opera. This new version will highly improve user experience by bringing a lot of new features such as device information, firmware and apps updates, quick overview of installed currencies, categories, 3rd party apps.
The initial Ledger Wallet desktop application will be released on July 9th, 2018 including the Ledger Manager support. Regular updates will follow, with a priority on adding ERC20 support. The mobile version is scheduled for end of Q4 2018.